Home / Wines / Amatra Jono’s Wave White, Catherine Marshall Wines

Catherine Marshall Wines

Download full size images

With Amatra White, a Chenin-based cuvée, Cathy aims to apply a classic, cool, restrained approach to a generally accepted warmer climate variety found in most of South Africa.

Bright, fresh, sweet melon and white peach top notes with fleshy ripe nectarines on the core and crisp green apple acidity on the finish. A rich mid-palate of lanolin adds depth and complexity to the wet granite stone texture. Primary white peach and fresh apple fruit aromatics may evolve into nutty, spicy baked apple and cardamom notes with age. 87% Chenin Blanc, 13% Semillon.

Technical analysis

ALCOHOL

13.5 %

RESIDUAL SUGAR

4.4 g/L

pH

3.41

ACIDITY

5.6 g/L

ORIGIN

South Africa

WINEMAKER

Catherine Marshall

VARIETY

Chenin Blanc

HARVEST DATE

March 2016

TIME IN OAK

8 months (40% of blend)

MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION

No

CLOSURE

Screw top

BOTTLE SIZE

75cl

REGION

Elgin

Vinification details

Both cluster and berry sorting commenced prior to being partially crushed. The mash was pressed in a pneumatic bag press where both free run and pressed fractions were treated oxidatively with minimal chemical additives. The juice was settled cold for two days and then 40% was decanted to old 225 litre French casks and the remaining 60% was fermented cold in stainless steel with no commercial yeast strain innoculated. The wine has not been through secondary malo lactic fermentation and matured for 8 months after which both components were consolidated. A small dollop (13%) of cask matured Elgin Semillon was blended to broaden the mid palate and add complexity. Once the wine completed maturation, the casks were consolidated and bottled.

Green credentials

Accredited Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) estate.

Have a trade enquiry?
Contact us to discuss

Lovely length and intensity.

Platter

Download full size images

With Amatra White, a Chenin-based cuvée, Cathy aims to apply a classic, cool, restrained approach to a generally accepted warmer climate variety found in most of South Africa.

Intense aromas of peaches and glacé pineapple. Marzipan with fresh crunchy apple acidity fans out the tail on the finish. A rich mid palate adds breadth to the graphite wet stone texture throughout.

Technical analysis

ALCOHOL

14.0 %

RESIDUAL SUGAR

2.0 g/L

pH

3.43

ACIDITY

5.7 g/L

ORIGIN

South Africa

WINEMAKER

Catherine Marshall

VARIETY

Chenin Blanc

HARVEST DATE

March 2014

TIME IN OAK

8 months (40% of blend)

SULPHUR

Total: 113 Free: 28

MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION

Partial

CLOSURE

Screw top

BOTTLE SIZE

75cl

REGION

Elgin

Vinification details

Both cluster and berry sorting commences prior to being partially crushed. The mash is pressed in a pneumatic bag press where both free run and pressed fractions are treated oxidatively with minimal chemical applications. The juice is settled cold for two days and then 40% is decanted to old French casks and the remaining 60% is fermented in a steel tank for a month. Both components are fermented spontaneously and only 10% of the entire blend is taken through secondary malolactic fermentation to broaden out the mid palate. The resultant wine is then further matured for 8 months.

Awards

Platter: 4*

Green credentials

Accredited Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) estate.

 

Have a trade enquiry?
Contact us to discuss