The Cluver family bought the De Rust farm in 1896 to provide summer grazing for their livestock. In the mid 1900s it became a renowned apple-producing area and was subsequently identified as an ideal cool climate wine region. This in turn led to the establishment of the Paul Cluver wine estate, the first winery in Elgin, founded in 1986. Recognised as pioneers of wine in the area, the focus is on producing elegant wines that are expressive of the terroir.
The wine business forms part of a 2000+ hectare holistic farming business called ‘De Rust Estate’, which includes the vineyards and cellar, apple and pear orchards, a Hereford stud and eco-tourism activities, including amphitheatre concerts on the farm. Forming part of the UNESCO world heritage site, the Kogelberg Biosphere, half of the estate has been set aside for conservation into perpetuity.